Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hey Lady, You Forgot Your Socks!

It was mid-day, on an average Tuesday afternoon, when I heard the words that no commission shoe sales associate likes to hear.

"Yes, I'd like to return these," the woman on the other side of the counter said.

I looked down, noticed the clearance shoe sticker on the edge of the box and breathed a sigh of relief. If I was the one who originally sold her the pair of Ralph Lauren short boots, a clearance price means that my charge-back will not be too high of a dollar amount.


They were nice boots, especially given the Ralph Lauren Brand and a clearance price. Had she bought them before they went on the clearance rack, she would have paid well over $100 for them. However, on clearance, she paid $53 bucks.

While trying to desperately to hide my reluctance in taking the boots back, just in case I was the original seller, I reached for the boots and handled the return.

I usually take a quick peek inside boxed returns before any transactions, but this time around, I simply didn't. Once she cleared the register, I opened the box to return the right boot to the clearance rack and place the remaining boxed boot back in the stockroom.

Upon opening the box, low and behold, I discovered these tucked down in each boot.

Women's Well-Worn Socks


What the? How do you forget your socks?

I recall reading an article about a girl who paid her way through college by selling her dirty socks to foot fetishists on eBay. She claimed that well-worn socks can bring in a pretty penny. According to some eBay postings, it is a fact. So sure, the thought crossed through my mind. Just then, reality set-in and I realized there was a problem with that scenario.

I ain't touching those dirty things!

No comments:

Post a Comment